1st match of the season – a pretty good start
We had been waiting a long time for this first outdoor game, as outdoor practice started as early as April (which almost never happens due to standard weather conditions, but no flooding at all this winter & spring changed everything).
So with all this practice we were quite well prepared to face our first opposition, with just a bit of worry about the solidity of our batting, as most of our young players lack experience in hard ball cricket.
Crushing heat could also prove a problem, but players and pitch proved equal to the task. Still, our Brixton Barbarian visitors kindly gave us extras we did not deserve, helping us reach 220/8 in 35 overs.
Some of us will still have to refrain from chasing wide balls… and practice leaving! So, more batting practice coming your way, fellas.
- Captain Peter’s return to form, opening the batting and scoring a fine 50
- Bashir, partnering Peter to 80, scoring 37
- Batting through our overs
Our bowling innings was unfortunately too short to make more observations, as Arif and Gurdeep tore through the Barbarians’ batting order within 6 overs… for 12 runs.
We turned to spin bowling to slow things down but all too quickly the game was over, in 8.5 overs for 17 runs all out.
- Arif’s first outing yielding 4 wickets, 2 maidens, 2 runs – quite a display of inswing
- Gurdeep returning with 2 wickets for 8 in 3 overs – the left armed terror is back…
- A fine run-out from Shamir, running from slips to third man… nice throw!
- Omar, no run-up, 2 for 2 in 1.5 overs
Many thanks to our visitors, whom we hope will come back next year for a full week-end of cricket.
Saumur vs Brixton Barbarians 28 05 2017 match summary